Saturday, July 18, 2009

Ellie is 6... How did that happen?!?


Oh my, how did my little girl turn 6 years old already? I can hardly believe I have a 6 year old! Last night Ellie and I talked about her actual birthday. I told her everything we did the night before she was born and about the eventful morning we had leading up to meeting her for the first time. She squealed when I told her I had seafood the night before and then dined on sushi after she was born! She does not share my passion for seafood or sushi!
It was so much fun to tell her about the beginning of her life. Then I found myself saying something I never have before... I told Ellie I was okay with her turning 6. She was as surprised at this as I was. She kept saying, "really?" like she was confused. I am always tearing up when I think how fast she is growing up. She usually hears me say, "I only have __(14 now) more years to teach you everything I want you to know and prepare you for life." I guess I am prepping myself to let her grow up a little more and become more independent, oh yikes. Let's see if this new found attitude lasts through the first day of kindergarten.

Anyway, I am so proud to be her mom and watch her grow. Here are some Ellie memories from the last year ...



  • Her favorite thing to do is "sneak" on family. When I came home from Utah last week she hugged me and then immediately told me all the things she witnessed when she was sneaking on Daddy! Too funny :) I love it though.

  • She helps me so much with her brother and sister. She can do practically anything for Em and Matthew! When she came home from Disneyland a few weeks ago all she wanted to do was hold Matthew to put him asleep. She sat on the couch snuggled him and sang to him. I couldn't believe it, Matthew fell asleep in her arms. It was priceless.

  • She is a little daredevil. She puts acrobatic shows on using the tree swing and swing set in the backyard. If you ever get to experience one of these shows, prepare to be scared and astonished. Half the time she is upside down and twirling around all at the same time. Plus half way up the long rope.

  • She is so spiritual. On our little family get away over the 4th of July she secretly packed her scriptures. She pulled her little scriptures out of her purse and told me she packed them in case I forgot.

  • She loves to dance. I have threatened to take her to dancers anonymous on the days (most days) she cannot stop dancing. She even dances in her chair at the dinner table.

  • She is so girly. She wants dresses and skirts and that is it. I had to pack her a few days worth of pants for a trip and I discovered she only had 2 pairs, 1 of which had never been worn. She just does not like pants!

  • She loves jewelry and makeup. Let me add a word to that phrase- she loves MY jewelry and make up! I do have to say I look beautiful in a unique sort of way when she does my make up.

  • And what I will remember about Ellie at 5 the most is her humor. She loves to laugh and make up silly jokes. Thankfully she has an audience in our family that laughs at the jokes that don't even make sense!!

We love our little Ellie girl so much and are thankful to have her in our family for all eternity.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday, Ellie!

Lisa...I had no idea you have a passion for seafood and sushi...please come to Reno so that we can go out to dinner!!

Phipps Family said...

That was so sweet! Just wait til' you have an 8 year old... its weird ;) Happy birthday Ellie!

Brandon and Lisa Bird said...

Heidi- you love sushi?!? YA :) Brandon and I have tried places over Reno, Carson, and even one in Fernley. We are still looking for our favorite. I can't wait to go to sushi with you :)

birde said...

Lisa,
That is the sweetest expression of love. I am so glad that you are raising our grandchildren.
XO Linda

Lynsey said...

Happy Birthday little Ellie bellie!! You are getting sooooooooooooo BIG!! Zach misses his cousins!

The Stockards said...

A beautiful tribute to an amazing six year old. She is wonderful and we are so glad to watch all her milestones!