MONDAY
Here is our story this week with sweet little Emily as the star! She is a delight but we are finding out quickly she has a more intense yet tender personality than her big sister Ellie. On Monday I was doing laundry and she came up to me and said, "mama" to get my attention. Then she preceded to put herself in the corner on time out. She turned around and laughed at me! I thought she was just being funny. What I would soon find out is she was paying her consequence for taking a permanent marker and marking Matthew's head with an "X" along with scribbling all over his arm and head. Luckily he slept through the whole artistic experience. Here is where my lack of judgement came in. I was laughing so hard on the inside that I wanted to capture this moment so I ran to get my camera and didn't take the marker from Emily. When I returned she had moved on to our bed, creating her permanent marker art on our brand new high thread count bed sheets and all over herself!
(click on the picture to see the 'X' closer up)
TUESDAY
Tuesday I continued to scrub Matthew and Emily several times trying to get the permanent marker off their skin without hurting them. Emily's markings would not come off or even fade. She was proud and did not want to cover her art work with a shirt. So I put her down for a rest/nap with a rainbow hat on, jeans, and no shirt. What happened over the next hour included the scariest, most intense, frantic moments of my life. I put Ellie and Emily in my bed with the movie Sleeping Beauty. I put Matthew in his room and I was in the girl's room unpacking. I thought all was well until I heard a muffled cry. I ran to check on Matthew- he was asleep. So I ran to see if it was Emily. I found Ellie but no Emily. I kept hearing this muffled cry and became more frantic as I ran through the house checking every cupboard, bathroom, bedroom, closet, etc... but couldn't locate Emily or where this muffled cry was coming from.
I called Brandon. He raced home. I checked every door. All but one was locked. We had a worker in the garage and the door to the garage was open and the crawl space under the house was open too. My heart sunk. I thought she was hurt under the house hurt (this would explain the muffled cry) or wandered off our property to the horse pasture behind us which has an irrigation ditch and small pond (I was not thinking rationally and figured if she was not in the house the cry I had heard was just my imagination.) Well, to make a long, scary story short Grandma Dorothy, the Sheriff's Department, and 2 EMT's showed up and we all were searching for her. They were asking me questions and all I remember is I was highly emotional and completely scared- a little out of control. I wasn't making sense, because they would ask me something and then they didn't understand my answers.
Well, finally after what seemed like an eternity, the EMT found Emily. Guess where she was- Brandon's closet hiding behind all his pants. He only saw 2 little toes sticking out and the rainbow hat she was wearing earlier. She was scared and would not come out for him. My mom was by him and she came to my mom. I have NEVER been so scared and then so happy in my whole life.
This experience is all we could think of and talk about for the rest of Tuesday. After thinking it through I think Emily was scared when she heard the intensity in my voice- I was crying and screaming her name and I think she was completely confused. Tuesday night as we were putting Emily to sleep, Brandon said the permanent markings Emily put on our brand new sheets didn't matter- just having Emily safe with us was all that mattered. It is all about perspective and this experience put everything into perspective.




10 comments:
OH MY GOSH!!!! This is all so funny and scary at the same time! Did the ink come off Matthew?
Yes, thankfully the ink came off of Matthew!! Emily's ink on her tummy and leg still is not off :) We scrub a little each day and it fades more and more!
It was so fun to see you guys yesterday and to hear the stories first-hand! I'm so glad Emily is safe and the marker is slowly fading! Kids really do make life interesting... =) What would we do without them?!
Ya, really! I enjoyed seeing you too Heidi. I feel jipped that you moved to Reno soon after I got to Fallon. I heard you had an exciting night of more keys missing/ misplaced/ locked after we left. It will make for a funny story later.
Lisa - you are such a great mom to just laugh about it. . . I am afraid I would have been mad first - eventually I would have laughed! Matthew is still really cute - even with an X on his head!
No,no ... Kim the sad part was I was more upset about permanent marker on my sheets rather than on Matthew's head. What's wrong with me!?!
Lisa you've been tagged. See my blog for details.
Hi Lisa and Brandon,
I found you through the blognetwork out there. I'm actually not quite sure how. Anyways, it's Rebecca Huffaker here. Saying hello! You guys have cute kiddos!
Rebecca- oh my gosh- I can't believe it is you :o)) WOW- You have to send me your blog address. You are in Arizona now? Oh my, how fast life goes and changes. How many kids do you have now? I am so excited you found us long lost friend! Our oldest daughter is a dancer! She is OBESSED w/ Ballet. She literally dances around the house all day- I thought you could appreciate that since you are a bonified ballerina yourself!!
Hey...I was pretty thrilled to find your blog too. I think about you guys all the time! I found an address I thought would be yours in Fallon and sent you a Christmas card last week. But, I'm thinking now it might not be correct since you have moved. I have two boys and now finally a girl just this past February. I hope she likes to dance...but we spend a LOT of time on the soccer fields lately. You never know, with two older brothers. Send me your email address at huffrabbit at hotmail dot com. I will send you an invite for my blog. I made it private because I'm a worry-wart.
Post a Comment